Financing Your Backyard Project
If financing is part of your plan, then obviously it’s a big advantage for you to know in advance how much money you can borrow for your backyard project. Here are a few helpful tips for you to consider as you investigate financing.
TIP #1: What Type of Loan is Best For You?
There are basically 2 ways to get financing for your pool project:
- Home Improvement Loan
- Refinancing of your existing home loan
There are advantages and disadvantages of each. It’s usually best to talk to a lender or call us to find out which of these will be best for you and your situation.
TIP #2: How Much Equity Do I have?
Do you know how much equity there is in your home? It’s fairly easy to calculate:
- Go to www.Zillow.com, enter your address, and find the “ESTIMATED MARKET VALUE” of your home.
- Alternatively, you can search your county tax records for the “tax assessed value” of your home.
- Then call your mortgage company for your CURRENT BALANCE(s). If you have a 2nd mortgage, you must include that in the current balance to the first mortgage balance.
- Subtract CURRENT BALANCE from ESTIMATED MARKET VALUE to determine your EQUITY.
- Most lenders will let you borrow up to 80% of your equity.
TIP #3: Talk to a lender.
A quick conversation with your favorite banker (or one of ours, below) will get you on the right path.
Note that you don’t need to fill out an application, or worry about anything hitting your credit report. Just make a phone call to a broker, and get their advice for your unique situation. The brokers below have helped THOUSANDS of homeowners, and will be happy to help you too. Or give us a call for further advice. We too have helped thousands of homeowners through this process.