John Douglas Versfelt, Owner
About Southernwind Pools
Southernwind Pools was founded by John Versfelt in Dallas Texas in 1983. Now located in an elegant showroom in McKinney Texas, Southernwind Pools has gained a reputation with homeowners and home builders alike as a premier provider of high-quality, high-value swimming pools. Their emphasis has always been on:
- Spectacular designs
- Low-maintenance and energy-efficient
- Strict adherence to quality construction standards
- Exceeding expectations without exceeding the budget
Homeowners consistently rave about their experience working with Southernwind Pools, and how pleased they are with the finished product. It’s no surprise that more than half of the nearly 2000 pools they’ve built are based on referrals.
Southernwind Pools is an accredited member of the Better Business Bureau (BBB), with an A+ rating, and also a member of the Association of Pool and Spa Professionals (APSP). (In fact, our owner John Versfelt served on the APSP board for four years, including two years as the North Texas Chapter Vice President.)
Southernwind Pools has recently been repeatedly recognized as a "Top 50 Builder" by Pool and Spa News. This is no easy task considering the fact that you're competing with more than 10,000 other pool builders across the country. But this award isn't about being the BIGGEST; it's about being the BEST. Southernwind Pools made the list because of many different factors, including Community Involvement, Competent Staff, Industry Involvement, as well as Overall Revenue.
Southernwind Pools is the recipient of multiple design awards, including the prestigious International Gold Design Award from the APSP. They are also the recipient of an international GAVA award "Global AquaTekture Visionary Awards™"), which is perhaps the most prestigious award in the history of the pool industry. (GAVA recognizes the most innovative concepts, designs, materials and applications of water-inspired environments from across the globe.)
In 2009, Aqua Magazine bestowed Southernwind Pools with their “Aqua Choice” award – An award limited to only eleven of the top builders in the country.
Southernwind Pools has frequently graced the pages of local and national periodicals such as Aqua Magazine, Pool and Spa News, and Luxe Magazine. Southernwind Pools has repeatedly been named to the Dallas Business Journal’s “Best Of Dallas” list of preferred pool builders.
In 2009, Southernwind Pools moved its headquarters to McKinney, to better serve the growing population of north Texas. More than half of this 3000 square foot facility is dedicated to “The Pool Buying Experience.” They have decking materials, tiles, interior finishes, automation systems and other features and equipment all on display, along with a comprehensive “Outdoor Living” gallery.
For more information about Southernwind Pools, you should get our FREE "Backyard Ideas" DVD. You'll see hundreds of different photos and ideas for your backyard dream, and you'll get some great tips on how to tell the difference between a builder that's going to take care of you vs. one that will cut corners, surprise you with hidden costs, or design a pool that's a pain in the rear to maintain.
REMEMBER: You can and should expect to receive the most stringent standards of excellence with Southernwind Pools. We specialize in designing spectacular pools that are extremely easy to maintain. Our pools can be designed to fit any style or budget, without ever compromising on construction standards. For more information, give us a call at (972) 783-4090.
Owner / President
Director of Sales and Design
- Knock-Your-Socks-Off Custom Designs - We don't build cookie-cutter pools. We start with a blank sheet of paper and combine your dreams with our cutting-edge industry expertise. Then we create a design that's just what you've been looking for and more. Vanishing edge? Perimeter overflow? All-tile interior? No problem. Our goal is to make you go "Wow!"
- The Total Package - Since most families spend a lot more time around their pool than in it, we include custom-designed kitchens, fireplaces, firepits, cabanas, pergolas and more in our designs. "Outdoor living" is not an afterthought; it's part of the total package from the start.
- The Coolest, Newest Showroom in North Texas - Our brand-new showroom in McKinney has more than 500 tiles, pavers, stones, custom and other options on display. You can see, touch, and feel all the options before you make your choices.
- Recognized Leaders in the Industry - It's one thing to say you build a great pool. It's quite another to have other experts from around the industry compare your pools to others, and hand the award to you. We've won more than a dozen industry awards for our designs and craftsmanship.
- Not some "New Kid On The Block" The biggest problem with most pool builders is that they go out of business. And when they do, your pool has no warranty. Now at 31 years strong, Southernwind Pools is one of only half a dozen pool builders in North Texas that have been around that long. You can trust us to finish the job and still be there for you many years after.
- Kick back and relax with low-maintenance, energy-efficient construction - From our oversized plumbing and filters to our energy-efficient equipment, and our self-cleaning pool systems, a Southernwind pool costs less to own and takes less time to maintain.
- We include as standard the stuff most other builders charge extra for, such as advanced automation and sanitation systems, our highly efficient Turbo skimmer, in-floor cleaning and channel drain systems, and our extensive choices for tiles, decks and interior finishes.
- Warrantees and craftsmanship to last a lifetime - Every Southernwind pool comes with a Lifetime Warranty on the shell, the in-ground plumbing associated with the in-floor cleaning system, and more. Plus, we give a three-year warranty on all the main equipment components. That's triple the industry standard.
- In-house service - Southernwind Pools has a full staff of trained CPO™ (Certified Pool Operator™) service professionals to take care of your pool.
- Member of APSP and BBB - We're active with the Association of Pool and Spa Professionals (APSP), and an A + rating with the BBB.
The APSP is the world's largest international trade association representing the swimming pool, spa, hot tub and recreational water industries. APSP is the leading industry advocate promoting professional best practices through education, industry standards, and safety.
APSP members adhere to a code of ethics in business and technical practices and share a strong commitment to the safe, healthful, and enjoyable use of industry products.
The APSP effectively replaced another well-known industry organization known as “National Pool and Spa Institute” or NSPI in 2006.
More information at: The Association of Pool & Spa Professionals
APSP Member Code of Ethics
All members of The Association of Pool & Spa Professionals agree to be dedicated to and to comply with the following ethical principles and policies:
To contribute to the health, safety and welfare of the public in the design, manufacture, installation, maintenance and operation of swimming pools, spas and hot tubs by complying with all applicable laws, ordinances or regulations and refraining from engaging in fraudulent or deceptive acts or practices.
- To hold all necessary federal, state and local licenses, registrations and permits.
- To hold legally required liability insurance, workers’ compensation insurance, and bonding.
- To respect and not infringe upon the intellectual property rights of others and to refrain from using the property of others without their prior, written consent.
- To advertise products, services and prices truthfully and consistently with all federal, state and local advertising practices requirements.
- To establish prices in a manner that does not involve collusion with a competitor and to clearly communicate such prices to potential customers or clients prior to providing such products or services.
- To provide written sales agreements when such are requested by customers or required by law.
- To comply with the terms of all agreements, oral or written, regarding the provision of products or services.
- To respond to any consumer complaints made to any governmental authority, Better Business Bureau or equivalent nongovernmental authority.
- To exclude from company ownership or senior management any person or entity who or which, within the past three (3) years, has been convicted of or pleaded no contest (or its equivalent) to any felony or other crime involving business or financial practices.
- To use the APSP name, logo and other intellectual property only when and as permitted by APSP, and to cease all such use upon suspension from or termination of membership in APSP.
- To file a complaint with APSP regarding a potential violation of this Code of Ethics only when in possession of credible evidence of such potential violation.
- To cooperate fully with any APSP investigation of a potential violation of this Code of Ethics.
- To encourage utilization of APSP educational offerings as a means of enhancing the professional skills and business integrity of APSP members and their employees.
The BBB is a private, non-profit organization whose mission is to promote and foster the highest ethical standards between companies and their customers in the areas of:
- Dependable Service
- Honesty In Advertising
- Honest Business Practices
- Reliable Complaint Handling Procedures
Examples of services provided by the BBB are Business Reliability Reports, Dispute Resolution, Truth-in-Advertising, Consumer and Business Education and Charity Review.
To be a member of the BBB, an applicant must:
- Be invited to apply for membership by a staff person or Director of the Bureau.
- Be actively engaged in business, in the BBB's service area, for no less than 6 months.
- Supply background information about the company, its principals or other information deemed essential to the BBB.
- Cooperate with the BBB's activities and efforts to promote voluntary self-regulation within the business industry.
- Adhere to established BBB standards of advertising and selling, including the Code of Online Business Practices for online businesses that apply for the BBBOnLine Reliability logo, and cooperate with the BBB in matters relating thereto.
- Promptly respond to any and all complaints forwarded by the BBB, and make good faith efforts to resolve all such complaints in accordance with generally accepted good business practices.
- Comply with any decisions rendered through the Bureau's or an alternative provider's binding arbitration program.
- Eliminate the underlying causes of patterns of consumer complaints that the BBB may call to the company's attention.
- Be free from an unsatisfactory report at the BBB in whose service area the company is headquartered.
- Be free from any governmental action concerning the marketplace and its customers that demonstrates a significant failure of the company to support the principals and purposes of the BBB.
- Support the principles and purposes of the BBB and not engage in any activity that reflects unfavorably on the BBB and its members.
- Refrain from using the name or logo of the BBB for commercial, sales or advertising purposes in any manner not specifically authorized in writing by the BBB.
- Promptly notify the Bureau of any changes in ownership, licensing status, addresses, telephone numbers, web site and any other information deemed necessary by the Bureau.
- Fulfill all licensing and bonding requirements of applicable city, county, state and federal agencies and authorities, and provide license numbers upon application for BBB membership and provide periodic updates on request of the BBB.
Businesses earning the right to be included in this organization have a strong reputation of taking care of their customers. More information at: Better Business Bureau
The Certified Pool/Spa Operator® certification program has delivered more training than any other program in the pool and spa industry since 1972, resulting in more than 200,000 successful CPO® certifications in 44 countries.
CPO® certification courses are designed to provide individuals with the basic knowledge, techniques, and skills of pool and spa operations. It covers 14-16 hours of information from the NSPF® Pool & Spa Operator™ Handbook (provided) and local codes taught by an NSPF® Instructor.
The CPO® program is widely accepted by health departments. More information at http://nspf.org/en/cpo.aspx
The GAVA Award is the newest and perhaps most prestigious award in the history of the pool industry. GAVA refers to "Global AquaTekture Visionary Awards™," and is designed to recognize the most innovative concepts, designs, materials and applications of water-inspired environments from across the globe.
Produced by Three V Enterprises (3VE), a Las Vegas based corporation, GAVA transcends beyond the traditional water-themed design awards by hosting an integrated world-wide competition open to design professionals of all genres dedicated to influencing and creating thought-provoking solutions.
The GAVA Award program salutes the innovative spirit of artisans from every segment of the globe, celebrating diverse concepts from varying cultures, environments and philosophical aspects. Entries from across the United States, Australia, Canada, Mexico, Venezuela, Central America and Portugal receive the illustrious GAVA Bronze, Silver or Gold awards and are included in a full-color, hardbound book published by Schiffer Publishing, International Pools, Spas and Water Environments Edition II.
GuildQuality is the Leader in Customer Satisfaction Surveying for the Residential Construction Industry. GuildQuality’s Customer Satisfaction Surveying gives home builders, remodelers, and home services contractors the ability to easily collect and analyze information about the experience homeowners have in working with their company. Click here to view testimonials from our satisfied customers.
The Home Builders Association is an organization representing all segments of the residential building industry. Its mission is to enhance its members’ ability to provide safe, affordable, quality housing to the citizens of the local communities. The Association does this by promoting positive public policy, providing industry information and education to the members and the public. They also provide support and training, encouraging ethical behavior and professional standards, and making membership in the Association an essential element of a successful residential building industry company.
Membership in the Dallas HBA are also members of the NAHB and TAB, encompassing the nation’s three largest organizations. Homebuyers can count on the strength and dedication of these organizations to protect and watch over their interest. More information at: Home Builders Association
The APSP International Awards of Excellence honors APSP members whose pools, spas and water features represent some of the best designs in the industry.
The competition is open only to APSP member builders, designers, and service and retail firms. Many hundreds of entries are submitted each year, representing member firms from all over the world. More information at: International Awards of Excellence
Each year the Pool & Spa News magazine researches all the major pool and spa builders in North America based on criteria such as longevity, customer satisfaction, quality ratings, awards, etc. and compiles a list of the Top 50 Builders in the pool and spa industry. We are privileged and proud to be on this list of the Top 50 Builders.
The National Plasterers Council history goes back to the creation of the Plasterers Council under the auspices of the Southern California Chapter of the National Spa & Pool Institute. With the vision and work of Bruce Hughes, the Council was formed to “provide a voice and support for swimming pool plasterers.”
Other priorities include nationwide membership recruitment, new member benefits, and new educational opportunities including a pool surface applicator certification program. NPC has a very strong foundation and vision which will take the association to new levels now and in the future.
More information at www.npconline.org
A Certified Building Professional® is an individual who has passed all the rigorous requirements of the APSP’s Certified Building Professional® training program. Graduates of the course learn the skills and value system pertaining to high ethical standards, commitment to the highest standards of workmanship and construction, business stability, and superior customer relations. After completion of the training, all graduates must complete continuing education requirements on an ongoing basis in order to maintain their CBP® certification.
More information at http://apsp.org
Areas in North Texas That We Serve
Southernwind Pools provide swimming pool repair services in most of the communities in and around North Dallas and North Texas, including Addison, Allen, Anna, Celina, Dallas, Fairview, Farmers Branch, Farmersville, Flower Mound, Frisco, Garland, Grapevine, Heath, Highland Park, Lewisville, Lucas, McKinney, Melissa, Mesquite, Murphy, Park cities, Plano, Prosper, Richardson, Rockwall, Rowlett, Sachse, The colony, University Park, Van Alstyne and Wiley.
We provide weekly maintenance or services in all of those same cities except for Celina, Flower Mound, Grapevine, Mesquite and Van Alstyne.
We also provide swimming pool design and construction services primarily in most of the communities in and around North Dallas and North Texas, including the above mentioned cities. We occasionally provide design and construction services outside of these areas, but only on a case-by-case basis. If you have a special project, and you want a special builder like Southernwind Pools to handle it for you, please give us a call at (972) 783-4090.